Sunday, June 30, 2013

Maintenance is not a destination

Over the course of the past two years, I've learned a lot about myself and the strategies that are important for me to use to maintain my new weight.

Maintenance is not a destination. To me it's a continuation of a process of refinement of the habits that I developed to lose weight. Once I reached my goal weight, I was determined to make this a lifestyle and not to return to my old ways. I knew that to keep the weight off my new behaviors needed to continue.

Long-term maintenance of behaviors is something we can all achieve when we focus on the reasons that forced us to lose weight. For me focusing on my health was the catalyst that changed my whole perspective and allowed me to take a different look at my life.

I better understand now that my experiences both good and painful are here to help me grow and evolve. I continue to take personal responsibility for the decisions I make throughout my day. Sure they’re not always the best, but I've learned that it's okay not to be perfect.

Tracking was a very important weight loss tool for me and one that I've continued in maintenance. I continue to weigh myself daily.

Reportedly only 5% of dieters are able to lose weight and keep it off. Who knows the exact number, but it's a very small percentage. I’m sure, there are many more that lose weight initially, but keeping it off is a whole other story.

12 comments:

  1. Maintaining weight after a significant weight loss is challenging, but it can certainly be accomplished. Many people who do lose weight will gain it back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me weight maintenance should be something I can stick with for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weight loss to a healthy weight for a person’s height can promote health benefits such as lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels, lower blood pressure, less stress on bones and joints, and less work for the heart. Thus, it is vital to maintain weight loss to obtain health benefits over a lifetime. Keeping extra weight off requires effort and commitment, just as losing weight does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maintenance can be difficult. The strategies that encouraged weight loss also play an important role in maintenance. Continuing to use behavior changes can help maintain weight. A return to old habits does not mean failure. Paying renewed attention to dietary choices and exercise can help sustain behaviors that maintain weight loss. Identifying situations such as negative moods and interpersonal difficulties and incorporating alternative methods of coping with such situations rather than eating can prevent relapses to old habits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's tough maintaining weight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of people tend to think it is okay to go back to the other lifestyle once they lost weight. This is not true though. You have to keep pushing forward and do not stop. Weight loss is not the destination. It is about constant change for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe that 5 percent of people are only able to maintain their diet weight and keep it off. Kind of crazy. We have too many temptations out there. McDonalds. Krispy Kreme. Starbucks. Wendys. Sonic. Yum yum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently starting reading your blog. I'm in the 95 per cent group. Why is it so difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  9. People do not realize but the work is never done on the path to lose weight and stay that way. Many people see that they are slimmer and go back to old habits but that is not the correct way to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work out a few times a week just to be sure I keep up my figure. It's when you get comfortable is when you lose momentum. Don't give up. Push harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. As long as you stick to a routine, you are paving the path to your own destiny. That's all you can ask for, I guess. - manda

      Delete
  11. 5%?! Really? That sounds like such a high failure rate for the rest of the 95% out there trying to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete