Friday, August 19, 2016

Guest Post: Life Style Changes to Feel Good for Life

Failure is everywhere. People are sick and in pain. This is not necessary. Let's learn how to be successful in our health. People have lost 50, 75, 100 pounds with minimal effort. They feel so good, they would never go back to old habits.

Myths: 

If I stop eating, I'll lose weight.
I have to be hungry to lose weight.
I'll never be able to have a piece of cheesecake (substitute your favorite) again.
I'll feel deprived.
I'll have to exercise 2 hours every day.
Diabetes runs in the family.

Foods are either Carbohydrates, Proteins, or Fats. Meals should have 50% Protein, 25% good carbs, and 25% fats. Monosaturated are the best.

Carbohydates:  Which are good, which are not? Rule of thumb. Don't eat the white stuff.  Also known as processed. Eat fruits and vegetables for your carbs. Avoid white flour, white sugar, white potatoes, white rice, white pasta, and white bread. Substitute whole grains, sweet potatoes, brown rice, couscous, quinoa, pasta made of spinach, bell peppers, whole wheat. Bread made of whole grains. No enriched white flour.

Why?

The white stuff is highly processed. This means it gets into your blood stream as sugar way too fast. Your blood sugar spikes. Your pancreas has to quickly release insulin to get your blood sugar back down. It goes too far down. Now you are famished!!  Quick, eat something with sugar or highly processed to get your blood sugar back up. This roller coaster is bad for your whole body- every cell. Insulin is our fat storage hormone. Spike blood sugar, release insulin, hold onto fat like a sponge holds water. This happens when we eat high Glycemic foods.

Eat Protein, good fats, and unprocessed carbohydrates.

Your blood sugar stays within a nice normal even range. Your pancreas now releases Glucagon. Glucagon   is our Fat Releasing Hormone. Your blood sugar stays in the good range. No hunger, no shakiness, no foggy thinking, and Release Fat!! This happens when we eat low Glycemic foods.

Jump Start with low Glycemic foods for five days. Sugar cravings will go away. Drink 1/2 your weight in ounces of water. Flavor the water with fruits and herbs so it's not boring. Walk 30 minutes 3 times a week. Eat low Glycemic foods every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Nibble a little dark chocolate as a reward.

Focus on what you want, not what you don't want.

Our brains will believe whatever we tell it over and over. Say everything in the positive.
Picture yourself as your new You. Tell yourself how good you look, and how great you feel. 
     
+++
Guest post provided by Janice Moranz, MD.  Janice runs Albuquerque Health and Fitness MeetUp Group. The group has over 400 members. You can contact Janice at janicemoranz@comcast.net

6 comments:

  1. I like your post. Good information and presented in a non-complicated way. One question, why do you want me to believe that diabetes in my family is the myth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Following principles presented here to make changes in your lifestyle will help you lose weight and keep it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating healthier has changed my life in a way that is just so surprising and unbelievable to me and that is how I actually think about everything I put in my mouth, is it healthy?, how many calories?, how much fat?, is it worth the extra calories or fat if it's not healthy? will I be sorry if I do or if I don't? I never considered any questions about the food that I put in my mouth until I decided to change my eating habits I just shoved it in and now I even think about what other people are putting into their mouths when I see people eating, it's crazy !!!! but good crazy, I like this change. -

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to failing and trying again when it comes to adjusting my eating habits. It really is a life style change and it’s a battle. Changing from eating white bread to wheat was not too much of a change, but I struggled to change the way I consume sodas. With the help of my partner, I’ve limited my soda consumption to small amounts on the weekend and drinking water and tea during the week.

    I would like to add that starting small helps a lot. I always failed before because I wanted to do an immediate change and always reverted back. Start small and make changes gradually rather than all at once. I’ve seen more success this way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The process is a simple one, although not easy. I would also mention adding weight bearing/resistance exercise to add muscle. Increased muscle mass means a higher metabolism since muscle is what burns fat, and why it is generally easier for men to lose weight as opposed to their female counterparts. However, I do like that you’ve simplified the solution. It’s not complicated but it requires discipline and effort.

    ReplyDelete