Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Understand that no one is perfect

While holding yourself and others to a high standard is important, it is also important to understand that nobody is perfect – whether it be your friends, your family, your co-workers, or yourself.

No one is perfect, even if we believe that we do things for the right reasons. We look at situations from our biased viewpoint, and we want to believe we are right, even when we may not be.

Life is not black and white, and people will have different opinions and react differently to situations.

There are no people that are one hundred percent good or one hundred percent bad – instead, we are a mixture of the two.

See the good in people – if someone is opinionated, they are passionate, if they are stubborn, they have strength.

If people around you make bad decisions, then try to look at this objectively by understanding the context and what made them do this.

Also, remember that you may be far from perfect and realize that you have many traits that people can view differently. 

No one is perfect, and this includes the ones that we love.

Always look on the bright side, and appreciate what you have – your situation in life is better than many others, and it is important to appreciate this.

4 comments:

  1. That's a nice reminder. I used to be a perfectionist and it was only a while ago that I realized how many opportunities have I missed because of that. I wouldn't do stuff I knew (/thought?) I couldn't do 100% perfectly. In addition, I held the same high standards for the people around me, making it all "black and white" as you wrote. You know what was the best feeling ever? When I let go of it and realized that it doesn't meatter if you do something perfectly or not - the most important is to actually DO. Actions and people themselves are what matter, not perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one is perfect. Just focus on becoming as good as you can possibly be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good to strive for perfection but it's an impossible goal to maintain. I think it's better to do your best every day. Sometimes you'll nail it and other times you'll fall short. However, there is nothing wrong with striving for the best. On the other hand, expecting perfection from other people is a good way to give yourself an ulcer. Expecting competence is more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I've gotten a bit older, I recognize more and more that we are all fallible. We can be a very good person, and still make a very bad choice. That realization has allowed me to be more forgiving and understanding of the decisions people make. That's not something I could have said 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete