Friday, December 21, 2012

Traditional Holiday Eating



Holidays are the most challenging times when it comes to eating healthy.

It is hard to keep the weight off and your body healthy while still enjoying yourself this holiday season.

Being health-conscious doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t enjoy the holiday season, but

I’m afraid most of us give up our healthy eating habits to “indulge” during the holiday season.

When food is served during holiday family gatherings it is difficult to strike a balance between maintaining a healthy diet and joining in with the fun and festivities.
I don’t expect to lose weight during the holidays. I will try to remember that while it is extremely difficult to lose weight during the holidays, it is hard but manageable to keep and maintain my pre-holiday weight.

8 comments:

  1. Bravo, Mark! I don't try to lose weight during the holidays, either, but I also watch what I eat very carefully and try to stay within my caloric limit (about 1500 to 2000 calories). Alcohol is my downfall as I love wine and can drink two or three glasses at a party (about 250 - 400 calories). Add to that a few chocolate candies and I am already at 1,000 calories without getting any dairy, protein or carbs! My plan is to schedule a low cal day if there is a party planned or, if I'm eating out, I eat all the veggies at the restaurant and bring the main course home for lunch the next day. Works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having healthy and realistic expectations, during the holiday season, is key to coming out of Thanksgiving relatively unscathed. Knowing that just because there is an abundance of food doesn't mean that you have to eat at much as you possibly can, is a great thing to keep in mind. Know your limits and stick to your guns and you will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me, I hate holiday the most when I am on diet. Especially with everyone else coming back home and celebrating with lots of food. It's not difficult to not to eat but it is difficult to say no to people who offer food to you especially if they are much older relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on that side of the platter and it's not easy keep a big glass of water next to you so you're not digging in and OVER

    ReplyDelete
  5. Festivals and gatherings bring fun and happiness.Indeed it is difficult to diet. All that we can do is to add some green salads which are filling fibers and help easy digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy the holidays, plan a time for activity, incorporate healthy recipes into your holiday meals, and don't restrict myself from enjoying favorite holiday foods. In the long run, my mind and body thank me.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you overeat at one meal go light on the next. It takes 500 calories per day (or 3,500 calories per week) above your normal/maintenance consumption to gain one pound. It is impossible to gain weight from one piece of pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some times in holidays i ate too much for the morning. Because i feel very hungry some days. I take foods 3 times in some holiday mornings. But after that i feel very tiered.

    ReplyDelete