Thursday, October 3, 2013

Make eating apples part of your routine

Whole apples are convenient snack. The fruit is low in calories. A medium-size apple has only 80 calories. Apples keep you hydrated: 84 percent of an apple’s content is water. This means apples not only satisfy your hunger but can satisfy your thirst as well.

Apples have long been associated with a healthful diet. Fresh apples are high in fiber and immune-boosting Vitamin C. Vitamin C is important for the growth and repair of all body tissues. Vitamin C also helps to heal cuts and wounds and keeps teeth and gums healthy.
When I eat apples, I keep the skin on. Eating whole apples with the skin is the most nutritious way to enjoy the fruit. A significant amount of the nutrients and beneficial compounds in apples are located just under the peel.

Apples are loaded with the powerful antioxidant, but is found predominantly in the skin. It has anti-inflammatory and heart-protecting qualities, and may reduce the growth and spread of cancer cells. Google “quercetin” to find out more. In addition, most of the fiber in apples comes from the skin and the pulp. When you remove the skin, you remove about half the fiber.


Apples are good for you. Numerous studies confirmed that apples have disease-fighting nutrients. Make eating apples part of your routine.  Be cool and bring apples to the office. After a few days you are likely to notice that you’re not the only one.

11 comments:

  1. Apples are very popular and can be found all around the world. The largest apple producer in the world is China with about 40% of the total production. The second producer is the U.S. with more than 7.5%. Other leading apple producers are Turkey, France, Italy and Iran. 60% of all the commercially sold apples in the U.S. are grown in Washington State.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should go beyond apple eating. Healthy eating means enjoying a variety of foods every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may not hurt you to consume all your fruit in the form of apples, but you increase your risk of nutrient deficiencies and boredom with your diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you increase your risk of nutrient deficiencies by eating apples?

      Delete
    2. You didn’t post it, but you told me that you eat 5-6 apples each day. My comment is accurate, if apples are the only fruit you eat.

      Delete
  4. From what it sounds like, you're doing just fine with your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also a huge fan of apples. I eat them raw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do peel apples sometimes and wasn't aware of the benefits of eating the skins. I occasionally find the skin a little bitter, but it does depend on the variety, and we do have so many great varieties to choose from!

    Enjoy the journey.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat apples fairly often, especially when they're in season and I can get them fresh locally. I like to switch it up though. Sometimes I'd just rather have a citrus fruit or some melon, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love apples. Red, Green, juicy or round so long as it is an apple it is likely to satisfy me! It is good to know that one of my all time favourite fruits is so good for you! I will be sure to eat as many as humanly possible! :)

    ReplyDelete