Monday, April 6, 2015

I gained weight while training for marathon

I avoided writing about running on my blog, because I did not want anybody to think that you must exercise to lose weight. I am mentioning it now, because I want to share something strange I experienced. Something that is related to weight loss and running.

I tried to start running when I was obese. I weighed 261 pounds then and it was very hard. It felt terrible. I pushed myself to run for 20 to 30 seconds and got tired quickly. Few weeks later I injured my knee and had to have a surgery. After the knee surgery I had to wait several month to try to start running again. I was already eating healthy and managed to lose significant amount of weight. After I lost weight and started running again, it was so different. Running was much easier. It felt like if I were another person. I fell in love with running, and according to many, who successfully lost weight, it helped with maintenance.

Last year learned something that enhanced my knowledge and understanding of weight loss and running. I learned that nutrition for marathon running and nutrition for health do not go together. The energy gels that I started to eat on the long run days during the two last months of marathon training are among the least beneficial for overall health. They contain simple sugars like sucrose and glucose. I now know why I gained 10 pounds while training for marathon.

I then allowed myself not to comply with healthy eating during times before and after Thanksgiving and Christmas and in January 2015 I ended up to be 20 pounds away from my healthy weight.  Yep. S… happens.

11 comments:

  1. I’m not training for a marathon but I am training for a 10K, which is my first race ever. I have also gained 2-3 lbs and have been doing some research as to why. Definitely thinking I am over-eating (the late night snacking is the hardest) but also hoping I’m building muscle in my legs because the jeans still seem to be fitting. I find when I don’t eat enough throughout the day, I reach for the snacks come 9pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest problem wasn’t gaining weight while training. It was after the marathon! My miles went way down, but my appetite took a lot longer to realize I wasn’t running as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see this being a major issue if you cannot get a grasp on it.

      Delete
  3. It is interesting to hear this from people. I do feel however that weight is irrelevant when you have a fit and healthy body that fits into your clothing comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't out-exercise bad diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Overeating. That's how people gain weight. It's all about the calories in/calories expended ratio. Even if you're eating super healthy all the time, simply eating too much, thus consuming more calories than burned, can cause weight gain.

    During my first year running for a D1 track and field team, I gained about 5 pounds. I simply had a huge appetite from the mileage, and that plus an all you can eat dining hall caused me to overeat. I learned to monitor it, and my weight has been incredibly stable for over a year with 70-90 mile weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Energy drinks, gels, and pills all back fire and cause weight gain. Even coffee does that. I actually read something on Gatorade being WORSE than drinking soda. You really have to be careful. Even if it says it is healthy and will aid in weight loss, it doesn't mean it is or will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This can happen if you are using gimmicky products to hep you that end up backfiring, or if you just gain muscle and it ups your weight. As far as the pounds go, though, weight is just a number and if you feel healthy, you are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One common mistake marathoners make is to assume they are going to shed pounds with all the extra mileage they are running. You need to fuel your training to be able to complete long and arduous marathon workouts. Energy gels and sports drinks make this much easier. They can also be the reason you might not see the weight loss on a scale. The total number of calories you will burn from these long runs will be less than you think. Sports drinks and energy gels are the best example of hidden calories, as they have a high caloric content.

    ReplyDelete