Friday, September 17, 2021

Lose that lockdown weight

Has your waistline expanded since the pandemic began? You’re not alone. 

Sixty-one percent of U.S. adults report undesired weight changes since the COVID-19 pandemic began. 

Routines have been disrupted, stress has increased, and with the emergence of new variants of the virus at regular intervals. It is unclear when things will get back to normal. 

Emotional stress and improper sleep routines over the course of the pandemic have compounded the problem. It is ironic and even dangerous that people are gaining weight at this particular time. It has been shown that being overweight or obese makes it more difficult to fight the virus. 

Regardless how long the pandemic is going to last, the rest of your life is still ahead of you. We talk a great deal about safety measures—social distancing, face masks, and the sanitizing of hands. Maybe we also need to talk about the selection of the foods we eat. 

Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight is important for well-being and quality of life. You want to keep your weight from getting too far out of control. 

Whatever your weight goals may be, now is a good time to assess your lifestyle and focus on all the things that keep you healthy. 

7 comments:

  1. Eating the right foods can help with the goal of losing weight gained during the COVID-19 pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a big issue. some of the patients I see at my Medical Center have gained anywhere from 10 pounds to 40 pounds since COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic in March 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kinda interesting how lockdown affects people differently. I know many people who gained weight during the lockdown, but at the same time I have friends who actually lost weight (due to healthy reasons, not stress). I belong to the latter group - the Covid-19 lockdown helped me to move more, as I didn't need to waste time in the traffic. Instead, I would exercise. However, I know it can be difficult for other people, for example for those who have kids, or for extroverts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Sonozaki! The pandemic gave me the opportunity to start practicing yoga and I can't believe how better it made me feel. I lost weight and I believe it relieved some of the stress from being locked up all day. It's a matter of doing whatever you want with any extra time you gained during the pandemic. I'm not saying you had to learn a new language but the extra time gave me some great opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lockdown weight crept up on me. I didn't think I was eating all that much extra and in fact I thought I was doing good avoiding things like going out for ice cream or fast food. Whatever I did wasn't working because I definitely gained weight during the pandemic. I'm doing better now but it took time to come off, just like it took time to pile on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With the disruption of daily routines, an increase in sedentary lifestyles, and heightened pandemic stress, widespread weight gain is no surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nearly half of U.S. adults piled on excess pounds during the first year of the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete