Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Making a commitment to yourself

Making the decision to lose weight, change your lifestyle, and become healthier is a big step to take. You can start simply by making a commitment to yourself. 

Many people find it helpful to sign a written contract committing to the process.  If nothing comes to mind you can use this:

Today, I am making a commitment to myself to change the way I eat. I will stay focused and every day I will do something, big or small, to help me achieve my goal. I will continue even when it seems like it won’t happen or others say I can’t. I will not give up.

Writing down the reasons why you want to lose weight can also help. It might be because you are scared of heart disease, or because you want to see your kids get married, or simply because you want to feel better in your clothes, or have better sex.

You really need to accurately state and define what your motivations are for losing weight. Whatever your driving force, write it down and read it daily.

No excuses. Excuses are giving up before you even begin.

6 comments:

  1. Knowing what is more important to you empowers you to make the changes needed to switch to real food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weight loss is an ongoing journey. Sometimes it is hard to keep yourself motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrying excess weight and struggling with obesity was actually my choice. I lived in complete denial constantly convincing myself that I was doing the best I could and nothing worked. I even decided that I had something wrong with my metabolism so as a result totally freed myself of all responsibility! Now looking back I only wish I had of accepted myself as someone that made poor food choices and no exercise choices and may be I wouldn't of spent 15 years being morbidly obese. However I managed to turn it around - I made a choice to do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is undeniably true. Taking a moment to sit down and make a commitment to yourself with your goals and wishes, and an action plan, is probably the best thing that you can do when you're starting anything. Making sure that you define all these things will help reduce your chances of failing because you've made it as personal as possible (which is surprisingly something that people don't do very often, distancing themselves from what they're doing to they're not as affected if/when they fail). It's something that I need to work on myself, and this little post was a great reminder of how I need to approach these things in my everyday life, to make a commitment to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it comes down to wanting to change your life to be a healthier one. I myself have dealt with weight problems in the past and it's tough. But showing you can do it, really helps out quite a bit.

    In order to truly commit to ones self in losing weight, we need to realize we have a problem with weight and that any day we can be struck by the inevitable annoyance of death. We need to tell ourselves that life can last longer if we're healthier. Weight brings us down, but we can defeat it.

    All it takes is committing to ones self and to the weight loss and healthy habits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the first step anytime you want to make a lifestyle change. Great post and very motivating!

    ReplyDelete