Monday, December 29, 2014

Fear is my strong motivator

You may not feel that being overweight or obese is a problem to you. So, you may have little motivation or desire to lose weight. Or perhaps, you may be good at rationalization that nothing works. That is fine, so long as you understand the health risks. Your wake-up call will come in the form of the massage from your doctor.

In my case nothing motivated me until the moment, when in May 2010 the doctor informed me that there might me something in my heart and mentioned possible methods of treatment (surgery). He added that losing weight might make the procedure less likely.

That immediately got me motivated. Correction. It got me extremely motivated. I was determined to do anything that is humanly possible to lose weight. The fear of surgery was strong and effective motivation for me.

I am a positive minded person and strongly believe in using positive approach in influencing other people’s behaviors, whether it is raising children or managing subordinates. But no positive motivator was strong enough for me to lose and keep the weight off previously.

I do not wish anybody to get to the point that fear would have to motivate you to lose weight. Be smart now and use other people’s “experience” in this area. The plaque that builds up inside our coronary arteries can’t be removed. Once the buildup of plaque occurs, it stays there. Over time, plaque hardens and narrows our coronary arteries. Heart disease is currently the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States.

I want to include a positive message to everybody struggling with their weight: it can be done and there are ways to make it easier. Weight loss can be achieved without exercise, calorie counting and most importantly without being hungry. 

Having received my super motivation in 2010, I quickly lost 46 pounds that summer and then kept going on a bit slower until I lost a total of 91 pounds.

6 comments:

  1. I fear a lot in life, thankfully my weight loss is not something I fear about anymore. I was overweight at one time and it was bad, but I got through it and I'm doing really well these days. I lose a lot of weight and I'm more healthy then ever. Anyways, it's okay to have fear, because it shows we are scared about certain things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear is a strong motivator as it got me to eat healthier foods after a scare I had a couple years ago. I'm naturally skinny, and my metabolism rocks, but I was still eating unhealthy junk. I remember having this weird chest pain, and my heart was beating fast. It was a panic attack and it was because of my horrible diet. I changed after that right afterwards and I was thankful I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all heart diseases are reversible, but many are, and when you start losing weight, your heart really can benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I got on a serious diet and started to workout often, I started to fear less. Of course there's still a chance that my bad eating habits can come back to haunt me, but these days I feel much more at ease with the way I am eating. Anyways, fear is okay, it's telling you that you need to fix a problem and soon, otherwise you could deal with a lot of problems in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good motivator. Especially if you have lost someone due to poor health habits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that a healthy amount of fear can be an excellent weight loss motivator! Not so much that it pushes you to an extreme place, but enough to get you motivated and ready to attain your HEALTHY goal(s). Nice post!

    ReplyDelete