Saturday, December 27, 2014

Planning what to eat in advance

Achieving weight loss is just like achieving everything else in life: success requires planning.

Preparing and cooking healthy meals after work can be very challenging. Doing so while being hungry is difficult and may not always lead to weight loss success. When I am hungry I want to eat rather sooner than later. In addition, when I am hungry I am likely to make poor food choices.

Therefore planning meals in advance can be a crucial element of clean eating based weight loss approach. Since I don’t cook I buy ready to eat grilled chicken salads and eat them five times a week. 

If the salad comes with cheese I remove the cheese. To keep salads fresh I pack and seal each salad in a separate plastic bag. Buying ready to eat fresh and unprocessed food in advance works for me very well. When I started weight loss process I used to make salads myself. It was difficult for me and I was very happy to graduate to a better way in planning and preparing food in advance.

6 comments:

  1. I can definitely see how this would help with weight loss goals and just healthy eating in general. The times where I find myself not only craving fast food but going out of my way to get it are the times that I don't have something good ready to eat, which is quite often. Whether I cooked it and just had the options ready in advance (like the people that cook one months worth of food in a go and then freeze them to heat up later) or did what you do and buy like the salad and package then to remain fresh, the options would be much better than falling into the same trap over and over again with unhealthy options. Thanks for sharing this and it's great to know that it's an option that is really working for you and your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Planning meals is a good place to start improving your food choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning ahead will help you eat well. Perhaps you could plan each day's meals the day before, or plan a week's meals at a time. In this way you will know exactly what much food you will be eating. This is better than looking in the cupboard and fridge before mealtimes or snacks to see what is there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip. I myself already have meals planned out days ahead. Usually two to three days ahead of time. This way I have a meal ready to eat when I get home from work and don't have to deal with making food for long hours, wrecking my workout schedule as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so hard to eat healthy when I work such long hours. I have actually never tried to plan meals ahead of time, normally I'm just in for whatever I can find, but since times are changing and I need to keep my health up as I get older, it's time I start planning my meals a bit in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this for my working days. On the last day I am off work, I plan out 5 easy meals and put them into containers. It works great and I am less likely to stray from the diet plan.

    ReplyDelete