Friday, December 26, 2014

Psychological and social consequences of being obese

Being overweight or obese can have a serious impact on health but it is also associated with many serious physiological, psychological, and social consequences.

Carrying lots of unwanted weight causes difficulties with day-to-day living. Normal tasks become harder when you are obese, as movement is more difficult. You also tend to tire more quickly and you find yourself short of breath often.

There are additional consequences. They are related to psychological and social well-being. Consequences like social isolation or negative self-image can be very painful and damaging. More people lose confidence and are demotivated because of their weight than any other factor out there. 

Not surprising, some obese people prefer not to go out in public because they feel self-conscious or they simply cannot enjoy activities that most people take for granted.

I believe that there is more to life than spending it fretting and being depressed about your physical appearance.

Obese individuals have typically made multiple attempts to lose weight, with little or no success. Their previous attempts result in discouragement, frustration, hopelessness, and lead to helplessness about the prospect of losing weight in the future on their own.

Many people throw in the towel on weight loss because they feel deprived and hungry when they eat less. But there is another way. It is decreasing calorie intake while maintaining an adequate nutrient intake. Eating fewer calories doesn't necessarily mean eating less food.

People get full by the amount of food they eat, not the number of calories they take in. To be able to cut calories without eating less and feeling hungry, you need to replace some higher calorie foods with foods that are lower in calories. The key is to eat foods that will fill you up without eating a large amount of calories.

Being obese has a complex impact upon the individual. 
While health effects of obesity are real and they are dangerous, it’s the social and emotional issues associated with obesity that cause suffering and influences individuals’ psychological state.

I understand that it is a personal and sensitive issue, but when I see obese or overweight people, I feel empathy and desire to help. I write this blog and described what worked for me on ilostweightyoucantoo.com website in attempt to try to help people for whom losing weight seems to be an impossible task.

There is help available if you are overweight or obese. It is a condition that you CAN do something about. The more you know, the better you will be able to take action and do something about it.

11 comments:

  1. When you are so overweight it must be very difficult, but overweight and obese people should be informed that aggressive nutritional approach is a viable alternative to conventional approaches, and an effective one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even tell you how frustrated I am! I am not losing weight and now Im so upset that I would have to say I am angry. Angry at everyone and everything. I cannot lose this weight. Today I stood in McDonalds, having gone in there to get a movie out of Red Box, and I thought about my long day. I wanted a mint mocha so badly.. and yet I didn't want it. I stood in line to get it and then left, without a movie or the mocha. Nothing is working. I can't get on a plan and stay on it. I'm only 9 pounds from my heaviest weight ever. Do I care? I must not. If I did I would diet. I just can't find the energy to worry about diet right now. My business is taking every ounce of energy out of me. I am busy from morning till night. I hate myself in the morning when I get dressed. I hate myself in the afternoon when I am tired. I hate myself in the evening when I go to bed. I am fat. Just plain fat and I have no idea how to find the time to deal with it. I want to just stand on the rooftop and scream. I hate myself at this weight. I have no idea how to change anything. Every extra bit of energy and thought I have, is used up on every day life. I can't bring myself to count every bite again. I just don't have it in me. Is this the end? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not feel that being overweight or obese is a problem to you. So, you may have little motivation or desire to lose weight. That is fine, so long as you understand the health risks. To lose weight and to keep it off, it is vital that you should be motivated, really want to lose weight, and want to improve aspects of your lifestyle. No weight-loss plan will work unless you have a serious desire to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know people who deal with obesity every day of their lives. My younger brother is obese and he's suffered from many problems from health to psychological. He's depressed, scared to interact with people and so much more. Anyways, he has been losing weight and he's working on fixing his life, so that's always something good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're overweight or obese there's a decent chance you'll end up in the ER fighting for your life. You have the power to turn your health around. You can do it by making some changes in your diet and adding more activity to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many think they eat healthfully, but in reality, they do not, since they eat processed food. Yes, process food will fatten you up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was tough to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is so much more that goes along with being overweight. We are not just talking about the extra stress on your body and organs, but the extra stress that is put on your mind. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. While some overweight people simply pig out, what I usually see is trying-but-failing. They drink 0 calorie diet drinks, choose low fat options when available, work in a salad, don't eat excessively, and often exercise more than I do. They're doing it "right," but it's just not working for them. The more research I do, the more it starts to make sense that the low fat/low cal approach just isn't all it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There isn't one approach that will work for everyone. Successful weight loss needs to be tailored to the individual, so that it can fit with your lifestyle. I think it is really frustrating for people who are overweight and trying to lose weight to continue to try different diet plans, but keep failing.

      The low-fat approach is not a good idea because if you eat a diet rich in carbohydrates, you end up taking in a lot of sugar and that quickly adds weight. Also, low-calorie is not a good idea because people can't stick to an eating plan when they feel hungry. Your body wasn't designed to adjust well to low-calorie diets.

      More and more research is suggesting that low carbohydrate diets are the best for losing weight. But living in a carbohydrate-rich world makes this really tough.

      Delete
  10. Expecting all obese people to lose weight solely by “eating less and moving more” misunderstands the nature of the condition and will never solve the obesity epidemic

    ReplyDelete