Friday, August 3, 2012

Eating breakfast

I recently read a smart statement that:

“If eating breakfast works best for you, do it. If not eating breakfast works best for you, then do that. Simple as that. “
It got me thinking. While I agree that we should do what works for us, I also have a strong opinion about eating breakfast if one tries to lose weight.

I do eat breakfast every day. Breakfast helps me prevent hunger later on. I start my day off with a good breakfast. For me it means non-starchy vegetable, fresh low-sugar fruit, lean protein, whole grain bread, and healthy fats (I take Omega 3 supplement).  
This is my average day but I generally eat the same things  for breakfast from day to day:

blueberries, blackberries, or apple, 1 slice of dry, 100% whole-grain toasted bread with 1 slice of 99% fat free turkey breast, 1 fresh tomato, hot tea (no milk, no sugar). See picture above.
As you can see it is not a typical "breakfast foods". The protein consumption, when eaten as part of the daily first meal reduced my appetite throughout the day. I also believe that it jump-starts my metabolism and sets my body in the optimal fat-burning state.

It is very important for me to stick with protein breakfast option. Eating like this was initially a little challenging, but I got used to it. It has become a part of my eating strategy that caused me to lose 91 pounds without feeling hungry.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day: More than 10,000 successful dieters who have lost more than 30 pounds and kept it off for more than a year say that eating breakfast is a key part of their plan, according to the National Weight Control Registry.

The best breakfast is one that contains both protein and fiber to boost your energy levels and help you stay satiated throughout the day
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, in TV always they are saying the breakfast is the most important meal. Thanks for the advie about fruits, many people eats beacon and eggs, because they have protein, but also have fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t usually eat breakfast, either because I don’t have time or I forget to. But I have seen and read that a healthier, quicker weight loss plan works better if you eat breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am someone this does not work for. My entire life I thought this doesn't work for me. Often, I am not hungry when I wake. And when I force it down, I am only hungry again 2 hours later. Perhaps this is because I work and often have breakfast at 6 AM... but, I decided recently this doesn't work for me. If you are someone who it doesn't work for, check out intermittent fasting. Turns out, not having breakfast could be healthy for you. By stopping insulin release among other factors. If you are someone who finds him or herself struggling to eat breakfast -- you might want to explore what your body is saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’ve heard it before - breakfast is
    the most important meal of the day.
    If you skip breakfast frequently, try asking
    yourself why. Is it because you are not
    hungry in the morning or you don’t
    have time? Or, it is because you think
    breakfast will make you hungry the
    rest of the day, or because you think
    it will help you lose weight?
    No matter what your reason is for
    skipping breakfast - there is a
    solution.
    Breakfast can be quick, satisfying
    and tasty with a preparation time
    of 10 minutes or less!

    ReplyDelete